Hickory Hollow Llewellin Setters Forum Index Hickory Hollow Llewellin Setters
Our Dogs Get Straight to the Point!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barkley may have an underactive thyroid.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hickory Hollow Llewellin Setters Forum Index -> Health Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Barkley may have an underactive thyroid. Reply with quote

I think my post was lost, so I'm starting over...
Hello Laura, Barkley was tested today for an under active thyroid. I was wondering if you have any experience with this in Llewellins in general. Barkley and Booker are now six years old. Barks weighs 90 lbs. while Book weighs 55 lbs. Barkley was always larger and around 15 lbs. heavier than Book. We know for sure Barks is not stealing Book's food, but he gained 15 lbs. in less than a year. If the problem is his thyroid, he'll be given a prescription, but in the meanwhile our vet asked us to slowly switch him to Hills Prescription Diet to bring his weight down. They have always eaten Solid Gold dry food. I'm not happy with the ingredients in the Hills Diet -- List of ingredients starts with corn meal and chicken by-products. Is there a food you would use if one of your dogs was getting too heavy? Thanks in advance for any answers. I look forward to hearing from you. We think Barkley and Booker are the best dogs on the planet! Best Regards, Marcy
Laura
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Receommended Food Reply with quote

Hi Marcy,
I'm sorry to hear about Barkley. I hope his tests come back okay. For my overweight dogs, I usually put them on Hills Science Diet Light, but like you said, the first ingredient is cornmeal. I've never had a problem with this formula with my German Shepherd, however I don't feed Science Diet to my Llews anymore. They are currently eating Earthborn Adult Vantage. Earthborn is a holistic food and they are doing very well on it.

Here's the website: http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood.com/us/

I don't think Earthborn has a "weight loss" formula, but once dogs are at an optimum weight this helps them maintain. I also know that Canidae is a good food as well as a few other holistic brands on the market. There are a few other Hickory Hollow Llew parents that feed holistic type foods, I wonder if some of them might also chime in and give some suggestions.

Does your vet have any other suggestions for food besides the Science Diet?

"Llewellins are like potato chips, you can't have just one!"
Marcy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Barlkey may have an underactive thyroid. Reply with quote

Thank you, Laura, for your very quick response. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had experience with thyroid problems and/or with weight gain. I will look into the Earthborn food; someone else recommended Natural Balance. So we'll check them both out. Barkley isn't concerned at all, because he's now getting a larger quantity of food, as recommended by the vet. I hope to hear the results of the blood test from the vet by Tuesday and will certainly pass along the news. Best Regards, Marcy
Marcy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Barkley may have an underactive thyroid. Reply with quote

Hi, The blood test confirmed Barkley has a very low functioning thyroid. Our vet phoned and was trying to explain hypothyroidism and asked if I knew anything about it; I said that all my brothers and sisters and I and one daughter and a niece are hypothyroid. She said Barkley must have my family genes. At any rate, it's not difficult to treat. We're giving him a prescription -- soloxine -- twice a day. He seems to like the prescription diet food; we'll keep increasing the ratio of the low cal food to his regular food until he's eating only the low cal food to bring his weight down. At his next appointment in 3 weeks the vet will reevaluate. Best, Marcy
huntinwithdaisy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with Barkley. Our Katie was overweight when we got her. We have fed her Blue Healthy Weight formula. It has worked wonderfully for her. It is all natural.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hickory Hollow Llewellin Setters Forum Index -> Health Care All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: