Hickory Hollow Llewellin Setters Forum Index Hickory Hollow Llewellin Setters
Our Dogs Get Straight to the Point!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hickory's Doc Leo O'Bliss -- Leo -- (aka: Doc)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hickory Hollow Llewellin Setters Forum Index -> Puppy Progress Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rex

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: light on his feet Reply with quote

I haven't been around many Llews. I just want to try to describe how Leo moves. I've read where Llews are very athletic and I don't know if it's typical or not. The only thing at home I have to compare until Gracie matures, is our 75 pound English Setter, who is a bit coordination-impaired at times.

Leo was the smallest in the litter and is small for a male, weighing in at 45 pounds. He is just so light on his feet that I swear he barely leaves pawprints, except muddy ones on the kitchen tile Rolling Eyes . He just kinda glides and slices through the air. Sitting next to you, he will spring into your lap and you barely feel him. Very lean and springy. From a standing start, he's jumped 10 feet over a gaggle of sleeping teen-aged girls at a slumber party, touch down, whirl, and jump to the spot where he originated. Very smooth and fun to watch. I hope he doesn't try that on any nursing home visits Shocked

Last edited by Rex on Wed May 05, 2010 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rex

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: mini-relay for life Reply with quote

On Tuesday, April 26, Leo accompanied me to a school event where I work. The building of 450, 5th and 6th graders sponsored a mini-relay for life with the proceeds donated to the American Cancer Society. We arrived a few minutes behind schedule, so instead of having time to get settled in, we immediately stood in front of the assembly of students and teachers. I told my experience with my cancer and tied it to the theme of building a caring community. Leo was AWESOME! Very Happy He sat quietly by my side but was appropriately interested in his surroundings. Later, we walked laps then stood by the official "lap counters" where Leo greeted the students as they passed. Whether the student was in a wheel chair or walking, each hand that reached out to Leo was greeted with a wag of his tail and a nuzzle of his snout. That was a great day in the "field" for us. Cool

Last edited by Rex on Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rex

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Therapy dog visit to my dad Reply with quote

An early Father's Day visit to Dad....Leo and I left home at 5:30AM for the trip to Springfiled to see Dad. He's a 96 year old resident in the Alzheimer's wing at a Catholic-run nursing home so the timing would put us there about when he was finishing breakfast. After 2 hours riding in a car, I was asking Leo to be on his best therapy dog behavior without benefit of running around to de-stress. The nuns and staff were impressed with his manners as well as his handsome appearance (I really never tire of hearing that Embarassed )

Dad was already dozing when we reached him, and today he recognized me. Leo wagged his tail and, on command, jumped onto the bed and curled beside my dad. While dad stroked Leo with arthritic hands that used to squeeze off shots from a Smith and Wesson, Remington, Winchester, or LC Smith, he lucidly talked about the dogs of his life and how he spent his youth trapping and hunting. His spirits seemed to pick up as he talked about Betty and Lady and the rabbits and muskrats that he trapped.

It was a good day in the field. Smile

Last edited by Rex on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Rex

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: evolution of Leo's brain Reply with quote

The other day we witnessed Leo letting himself outside by opening the front storm door. I don't mean he jumped up and accidentally knocked the handle.......he wrapped both paws around the lever-type handle, unlatched the door, then butted it with his head to make his dash outside Shocked

I'm sure many dogs learn this behavior so I wasn't that impressed. Nor was I that impressed when he stood outside on the porch and grabbed ahold of the door handle to try to let himself in the house!! Whenever he butted his head on the door, of course, it closed. Rolling Eyes So when he learns the difference between "push" and "pull", THEN I'll be impressed Laughing
Rex

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: The Three Magi Setters Reply with quote

The photo below shows Leo, Harvey, and Grace taking time out from being the 3 Stooges to reenacting the 3 Magi gazing upon the Christmas Star. Consider how different things would have been had 3 Wise Setters "traversed afar". Rather than sing about gold, frankincense, and myrrh, we would be singing a carol about Bully Stick, Rawhide Chew, and Snugga Wubba! Rolling Eyes

From our pack to yours......Have the Happiest of Holidays!!

huntinwithdaisy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Rex. That is a wonderful photo. Your Setters are beautiful. Wishing a very Merry Christmas to you and your family from our Llew family.
Rex

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: mini relay for life may 2011 Reply with quote

I've been guilty of neglecting this forum due to spending too much time on Facebook!!

See the May 2010 post regarding Leo's visit for an elementary school's relay for life event.

This year -- my final year as an employee in the district due to retirement Laughing -- I took BOTH Leo and Gracie. When I got their leashes and Delta Society paraphernalia out, they went bonkers....whining, turning circles at the door.....sitting, thinking that is what is needed to get 'leashed up'....i was thinking 'what a spirited experience this was going to be' Shocked ......well, i should know better -- nothing they do should surprise me.....but once we got to the school building with 450, 5th and 6th graders, they immediately went into 'professional therapy dog' mode....strutting their stuff, like they were asking kids 'pet me, pet me'....Leo even sat in a girls lap who was seated on the floor Embarassed ....when I gave my part of the cancer survivor talk at the closing ceremony, Gracie help edit my remarks by hugging me throughout my talk -- not the best obedience, but the kind of thing that audiences love.......

After my retirement in mid-June, I plan to spend at least one day per week doing therapy dog work either at nursing homes, hospitals, and/or hospice.....would like to get involved reader dog programs too....let the 7 day week-end begin Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hickory Hollow Llewellin Setters Forum Index -> Puppy Progress Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: