Hickory Hollow Llewellin Setters Forum Index Hickory Hollow Llewellin Setters
Our Dogs Get Straight to the Point!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Search and Rescue Dogs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hickory Hollow Llewellin Setters Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rex

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Search and Rescue Dogs Reply with quote

I've been doing some reading about some of the amazing stories involving search and rescue dogs. GSD's and Labs/Goldens, I think, are typically thought of when considering this field. Anybody ever heard of or known a Llew or English Setter involved in search/rescue?

Gracie's experience has been to search on hind-legged tippie toes up to the kitchen counter to rescue our bread from being consumed at our evening meal. She's also adept at rescuing our iPod ear buds from safe places on the table, or in a pouch, or even a pocket.......so I know that her nose works Shocked

Serious question, though. Just curious.
Laura
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Interesting thought Reply with quote

Hi Rex,
That's a very interesting thought... These dogs undoubtedly have superb noses, you would think that if they could point out a bird on the ground, they could point out the location of a human.

With that said, I am unaware of the use of Llewellins to "hunt" humans. I'm sure with the right training it could be done.

Interesting thought though... very interesting...

"Llewellins are like potato chips, you can't have just one!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hickory Hollow Llewellin Setters Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: